Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Baby moon

There is something about this that feels easy... or maybe it feels familiar. With Busy at school and Chef around a lot there are very few expectations at all. No pressing tasks I need to complete. No rushing to work, no running a business, no volunteering at the school. No phone calls to make or emails to send. Just time now to feed her and sleep. Chef is doing everything else. Lovely friends come to visit bringing breakfast or to play with Busy or to make cups of tea or bring freshly baked bread. To shed a joyful little tear or two over this precious new life, to have a hold and to marvel at tiny fingers and toes.



But on the flip side of this is the hardness of it all. The complete reliance on me to nourish this little one, to interpret her grunts and mews and cries... To wake up several times a night to feed and rock and whisper and settle, to feel the burden of my cranky tiredness and how it effects the whole house and makes everyone cry at the same time. To juggle the needs of a big sister who wants to hold her baby and wants to cuddle mummy and be the baby sometimes, who needs reassurance that she is still little and that yes the baby does take up so much time.





And I forgot how leaving the house takes forever with having to stop to breastfeed repeatedly. Yesterday we went out for the first time  to pick up Busy from school and "take her baby for show and tell" which went well but I felt like I needed a stiff drink when I got home 45 minutes later.

But the days go fast, (thank god for the invention of the iPad since I was last stuck  on the lounge holding a new baby for hours... day time TV is seriously bad!) and already it has been nearly 3 weeks since she arrived and we can't imagine life without her. We all compete constantly for who gets the most smiles and she has started to give them out pretty freely which is nice. I forgot how long you can spend just staring at them and how the ability to do everything one handed comes back really quickly. 

I  plan to open the shop tomorrow but am not sure how I will really do that.... the studio is finished and I am all moved in and it is amazing having this space of my own... just have to work out how to find the time to get in there.... Wish me luck!!

14 comments:

  1. Extend that babymoon! DO NOT OPEN THE SHOP.

    Not 'til Monday, at the very least.

    (Will stop being so bossy now)

    PS. She's bloomin' gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is adorable.

    Glad show and tell went well.

    Yes I I don't know what I would have done with out my iPhone while feeding, especially those night feeds, other wise I would have fallen asleep!

    I agree with Tania, enjoy your gorgeous girl for a few more day and leave the shop till Monday!

    Holli xo

    www.twinsplusonemumma.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) what a wonderful time it is! I agree with Tania :) enjoy every minute while you can xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soak her up, lovely. You've probably also forgotten just how fast that babymoon stage passes. (And congrats and love to you, too... I didn't have time to say that before now).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't the first few weeks go by in such a blur?! And those first outings out of the house with a newborn - man oh man. We attempted one to a shopping centre when Melli was new and, what with the feeding and the nappy changing etc... we never actually left the car park LOL.

    Re: the shop. Don't go putting any pressure on yourself. The shop will open when you are ready. Maybe you'll be ready tomorrow, maybe in 6 months. Whatever works for you and Romi.

    She is so, so precious. Clever you making such an awesome baby. Happy, happy baby-mooning xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It never never fails to amaze me the whole motherhood thing. ANd how you mum's do it, and do it over and over again, each day.
    I think you are amazing, and I'm not bullshitting xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's just so lovely! Try not to rush back into things, it'll all still be there after the baby moon, which albeit joyful is busy enough! just keep it simple and enjoy..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nawwwww look at those little hands! Still so stoked for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cath!!! She's here. . . and she is delicious. Welcome Romi Rose.

    So happy for your gang.

    rachel xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. I relate to so much of what you are saying. Cohen is nearly four and Emerson is now 8 months old and I am still trying to work out how to get back to the jewellery bench and run my shop! Little steps. That's my mantra. Little steps.

    Enjoy your gorgeous girls and take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I’ve really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. After all I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just could not depart your site prior to suggesting that I really loved the
    usual info an individual provide for your guests?
    Is going to be back steadily to check out new posts
    My web-site :: samson tobacco

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do not leave a response, however after looking at a lot of responses on
    "Baby moon". I do have a couple of questions for you if it's okay. Is it simply me or does it give the impression like a few of these responses come across as if they are coming from brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are writing on additional sites, I would like to follow everything new you have to post. Would you make a list of every one of your public pages like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

    Stop by my homepage; chalet frankrijk

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just want to say your article is as astonishing.
    The clarity in your post is simply nice and i could assume you are
    an expert on this subject. Well with your permission allow me to grab your feed to
    keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the
    enjoyable work.

    Here is my page vakantiehuisjes frankrijk

    ReplyDelete

what a nice person you are- taking the time to comment in this busy hectic world...Thank you!!